Prof . Dr. İsmail Boztosun (Department of Physics / Akdeniz University)
He was born on January 10, 1973 in Kayseri/Turkey. He completed his PhD in the Department of Nuclear Physics at Oxford University by receiving an award in 2000 due to " new coupling potential " model explaining the long-lasting unexplained problems in nuclear physics. The experiments conducted at Australian National University showed that the model is successful During his doctoral studies, he worked as a lecturer at the same university. After his doctorate, he worked in Applied Mathematics at Portsmouth University, England between 2000-2002. Here, his work on solving partial differential equations with a new numerical method was supported by EPSRC.
Returning to home country in 2002, he became Assistant Professor in Erciyes University Physics Department, Associate Professor in 2005 and Professor at Akdeniz University in 2010. He is the founder of Nuclear Research and Application Center and he has published over 100 international SCI paper with 27 h-index over 2000 citation.
His achievements in Nuclear Physics area in Turkey:
- He founded NUBA, the first and only Nuclear Research and Application Center of Turkey with its own Electron Accelerator,
- First photonuclear reaction of Turkey performed at Akdeniz University by his group using local facilities,
- He established the first competent and certified accelerator group in Turkey,
- First industrial applications of nuclear techniques made from Agriculture to Engineering,
- For the first time, solved Bohr Hamiltonian for an exponential potential and explained the nuclear structure properties of many nuclei,
- Developed a new coupling potential model for the explanation of nuclear reactions and explained the scattering observables simultaneously.
He has so far received the following awards:
- UNESCO-World Year of Physics 2005 Turkish Physical Society Prof. Dr. Şevket ERK Young Scientist prize, given by the Turkish Physical Society in 2005.
- Turkish Academy of Sciences Outstanding Young Scientist Award
(TUBA-GEBIP) in 2007,
- TUBITAK Basic Science Encouragement Award in 2010 and
- Akdeniz University Distinguished Scientist Award in 2013.
He is a member of the Turkish Physical Society and serves on the Advisory Board of Turkish Atomic Energy Agency and the TÜBİTAK.
Prof. Dr. İsmail Boztosun is still working as the Head of Nuclear Physics Division of Physics
Department at Akdeniz University. Married with two children.